My firewall / desktop machine at home has been running Ubuntu Intrepid happily for some time now. The recent release of Jaunty piqued my interest, so I went ahead and upgraded. For system changes like this I usually prefer a command line solution, so I used do-release-upgrade, which needs a package installed.
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
It will download what’s needed and ask you before it starts downloading packages.
I run shorewall, and to connect to my home network I use an atheros wireless card. This card doesn’t like the ath5k module that is the default atheros handler in Ubuntu. This machine acts as the AP, so I also run hostapd. Because of these custom tweaks, I copied some configs to be sure I wouldn’t lose anything, including /etc/shorewall, /usr/share/shorewall, /etc/hostapd, and the whole of /etc/modprobe.d.
This would prove to be a good thing.
After the upgrade and reboot, the ethernet to the world worked fine, but wireless not so much. Looking at the output of
sudo lsmod|grep ath
showed that the ath0 interface was not alive, thus the madwifi driver ath_pci had never been loaded. As I said earlier, Ubuntu likes to use the ath5k driver by default.
The ath_pci madwifi driver is normally ‘enabled’ using the restrited drivers manager, or what is now just the Hardware Drivers manager (Administration/Hardware Drivers). The easy way out may have been to make sure the driver was enabled there first, but my fix was to edit the offending blacklist entry that had been added to /etc/modprobe.d in the form of the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf
I edited this file and commented out the line
I already have a filed called madwifi.conf in /etc/modprobe.d that blacklists the ath5k module
This took care of wireless, and a reboot brought things back to normal.
Another issue I ran into was that I was getting numerous pop up dialogs from the tracker applet complaining that my index was corrupted. Asking it to reindex just caused another failure. Obviously things are more corrupted than it can handle.
This issue was fixed by installing
sudo apt-get install tracker-utils
and as the user
tracker-processes -r tracker-applet & /usr/lib/tracker/trackerd &
The last two commands could be skipped if you just reboot the machine.
Now I just need to decide if I want to go through the fun of disabling the pulseaudio mess, or give it another day in court.